The feature of the main museum building is the exhibit hall which was named after Thomas D. Shaffner, a 1957 alumnus of Michigan Tech. Shaffner's generous donation was instrumental in establishing a permanent home for the A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum on Michigan Tech’s south campus. At the dedication in 2011, the past Curator Dr. George Robinson called the new museum building “a giant leap forward” while Museum Executive Director Dr. Ted Bornhorst called it “a new beginning.” The 1404 E. Sharon Avenue location provides easily accessible public access with convenient parking.
In addition to the Thomas D. Shaffner Exhibit Hall, the main museum building houses a collection management area, a mineral conservation laboratory, and museum staff offices. The building was constructed on top of a past producing native copper mine, the Mabbs Vein. Read here about the: Mabbs Vein.