The Phyllis and John Seaman Garden is named in recognition of a generous donation to establish the John and Phyllis Seaman endowment as the basis for insuring the long-term sustainable self-sufficiency of the museum. The Phyllis and John Seaman Garden is also in memory of Wyllis Seaman and A. E. Seaman. Wyllis Seaman, John’s father, was curator of the museum from 1943 to 1948. A. E. Seaman, John’s grandfather, was the museum founder and curator from 1902 until he passed away in 1937.
The Phyllis and John Seaman Garden is located immediately west of the main museum building. The garden exhibits a variety of plants as well as rocks from the Great Lakes region. The rocks and selected plants are labeled.